Thursday, February 16, 2006

US Media and self-censorship

The UN working group on arbitrary detention has published a statement today. Its been widely trailed in the UK media. Interestingly Google News's page guantanamo - Google News, has pretty much no US news sites in the first ten (this will no doubt change, and I may put up a saved link later).

This is not the first time that I've notices international condemnation of the US being downplayed in US media. I don't believe that the press is serving the US public well when it doesn't report this sort of story. The reputation of the US has been trashed in the past few years, with many people in Europe, the Middle East and Asia believing that it is a serial abuser of human rights. If I were a US citizen I'd want to know this.

No comments: